The paradigm of “a beautiful natural smile”
“ beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ” is a great saying however the concept of the “ Golden proportion ” has been a universally accepted as the essential arithmetic and aesthetic rules of beautify derive form the early era of of Leonardo Davinci since then smile proportionally guided rules have been the centre of classic facial cosmetic surgery and aesthetic dentistry.
The concern about your beautiful natural smile could be analysed and evaluated on the basis of many tooth-related factors among which the followings are being mostly taken into account:
- Colour: despite a good oral hygiene, stained teeth may subconsciously giving a perception of dirtiness, carelessness and lack of hygiene in an individual. Teeth discolouration is a continuous and gradual natural process caused by some drinks, smoking and tooth wear. It is a common fact that bright clean tooth colour is relevant for a confident good look. Therefore, whitening and in some cases veneering of the teeth are considered to be an efficient approach to treat the darkened teeth and brighten your smile.
- Proportion: the ideal proportion of the tooth width and length related to each other, the smile corridor, the size of the smile window and the other facial components should give a spontaneous pleasant sensation within the beholder. The concept of “Golden proportions” has been prevailed in the field of the cosmetic dentistry for decades dictating the main guidelines for the teeth proportions both in orthodontic teeth movement as well as in the fabrication of the veneers and crowns specially in the anterior oral space.
- Symmetry refers to the 3-D position of the teeth in one side of the arch in a mirror image to the teeth on the other side, while the central line of the upper and the lower arch should coincide the vertical facial midline.
- Alignment and spacing: While orthodontic tooth-movement can rectify the true tooth 3-D position, alignment and symmetry, provision of the ceramic veneers can camouflage the same features.
- Size: discrepancies may merely be harmonised in proportion with reshaping and provision of the ceramic veneers.
- Length: orthodontic tooth-movement can change the tooth length by aligning the tooth position while gum correction may increase the tooth length when teeth are correctly aligned.